CPAWS-BC Celebrates New T’akú Tlatsini Indigenous Protected and Conserved Area

ID: river winds through lush autumn mountain valley
Photo credit: Taku River Tlingit First Nation

January 26, 2023

Unceded Coast Salish Territory / Vancouver, BC – The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – British Columbia (CPAWS-BC) joins Taku River Tlingit First Nation in celebrating the Declaration of an important new protected area in their traditional Territory. 

Located in the far northwestern corner of BC is the sprawling Taku watershed, a biodiverse ecosystem that sustains five species of Pacific salmon and a vibrant network of life. The T’akú Tlatsini Indigenous Protected and Conserved Area (T’akú IPCA) will encompass 60 percent of the Taku River system to preserve critical landscapes, and the remaining 40 percent will be in specially managed landscapes.

“This Declaration is an example of how Indigenous-led conservation is at the forefront of work to halt and reverse biodiversity loss,” says Meaghen McCord, Executive Director CPAWS-BC. “Support for IPCAs are an important opportunity for BC to honour Indigenous rights, further reconciliation efforts and are central to the province’s commitments to protect 30% of land by 2030.”

The Taku is the largest fundamentally intact watershed on the Pacific Coast of North America and CPAWS has long recognized its significance and supported additional measures to protect it. The inclusion of diverse and critical habitats within the T’akú IPCA, including lush valley bottom wetlands, important salmon streams, and high elevation caribou range, is a testament to their ongoing and longstanding stewardship.

CPAWS-BC Terrestrial Conservation Manager Tori Ball adds: “We fully support the Taku River Tlingit and urge the Government of BC to recognize that the T’akú IPCA hits the mark in safeguarding a range of species and ecosystems and, very importantly, protection of Lingit Kusteeyí (Tlingit way of living).”

Congratulations to Taku River Tlingit First Nation on the Declaration of the T’akú IPCA.

For more information, visit the Taku River Tlingit Declaration 2023

Main photo: View north on Inklin River, just below Sutlahine confluence in Northern British Columbia